st paddy's day

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Demon Treadmill



This morning I wanted to beat traffic coming downtown for the Mavericks Celebration parade. I got up an hour early and did my 30 Day Shred video and took the dog for a walk as per my morning norm. However, instead of showering and breakfasting at home, I packed up like a pack mule and headed to the train station 2 hours earlier than I usually go. My goal was to get a parking space. I got a GREAT parking space! I was slightly worried about not getting a seat on the train, but in Plano we still had plenty seats. However, the same could not be said for Richardson and further south. It took the train about 50 minutes versus the norm of 30 minutes to make its way to my stop, but we made it. I headed over to the YMCA from there.

Normally, I run at lunch on the Katy Trail. However, with today's festivities, I knew that it would be 2 or 3 before I could get through the crowds (if I was lucky) to get today's 30 minute run in. So, with the extra time on my hands, I decided to run on the treadmill. Oh geez, did that suck!! My shins hurt almost straight away, but what was even worse is that I was bored out of my mind!!! I was close to a window so I could look out but I couldn't see much other than buildings. There wasn't much on TV to watch. And to top it all off, there wasn't any good people watching. I don't see how people can run on treadmills for long periods of time. I used to be able to walk on the treadmill for hours, while watching CSI episodes. I thank God that this will not become commonplace. I would rather run in the rain than run on the treadmill ever again!!

So, the first week of marathon training comes to an end. I have had a 3 mile evaluation run, a 15 minute run, a 40 minute run and 2 30 minute runs. Now for a day off from running tomorrow before my 4 mile "long run" on Saturday. I need to make sure I enjoy the shortness of it. I know that as I get into the 12-17 mile runs, I will long for 3-4 mile runs.

No comments: