st paddy's day

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Ice Cream Monster



I am the person that loves ice cream so much that I can and will eat the entire container, no matter the size. If you were to give me a 2 quart Dreyer's container of Drumstick flavor, I will have it finished by the end of the evening. If you give me a pint of Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream, I will have it finished by the end of the show that I am watching. The same is true for my favorite Haagen Dazs, Midnight Cookies & Cream. The only ice cream that I can truly refuse is Butter Pecan, which I find quite revolting. Hence, it is usually the only ice cream that might have in our freezer for any given period of time. This is also because Brad has impeccable will power and can eat 1/2 - 1 cup and be satisfied. The Ice Cream Monster inside of me will not be satisfied unless I consume the entire container of whatever I am eating. I have tried stopping, but I usually end up back in the kitchen, sneaking bites whenever I get up.

So my solution has been to not keep ice cream in the house. Occasionally, we will buy the coveted pints, but not more. Otherwise, we head to DQ or Braums for their portion control. Now that we are experiencing a little bit of the summer like weather in Texas, my cravings for ice cream are ramping up. It is a hard craving to deny. What usually happens is that I deny myself for a good while and then all of a sudden, I don't just fall, I plummet, off the wagon and into the depths of ice cream goodness. This not only derails my weight loss efforts, it also wrecks havoc on my bank accounts.

In the spirit of trying something new, I came across the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches last night at Tom Thumb. They have changed their packaging so that each sandwich is individually wrapped, just like Weight Watchers. Each sandwich is 4 points plus, just like Weight Watchers. But, they are $2 cheaper per package! And, they have a few different flavors. I have always liked Blue Bell Cookies & Cream ice cream, so I was hoping for the best! I knew that Skinny Cow had a great product because I used to eat all 6 sandwiches in one sitting. But now, with the additional step of unwrapping each sandwich, somehow I am tempted by them a little less. It is not the actual unwrapping is what keeps me from eating them. It is the fact that my husband would see the wrappers in the trash and *might* say something. He is not the food police by any means, but he would make a comment and I would feel like that 6 year old who stole Daddy's drumstick from the freezer and got found out.

Last night I had my one and I was satisfied, not going back for a second. I hope that I can keep this up!

No comments: