st paddy's day

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Broccoli, Beef & Potato Hotdish



Tonight we tried our second new item of the week. This time it was a new recipe: Broccoli, Beef & Potato Hotdish (casseroles for everyone NOT from Minnesota). I had received it in an email from Cooking.com earlier in the week. It was originally published in the Eating Well Magazine, so I had high hopes. After that, i figured out that it only had 10 points plus based on the products that they used. With a few adjustments, I was able to cut it back to 9 points plus, which, for me, is reasonable for dinner.

One of the best things about this dish is that the broccoli tastes absolutely delicious! You roast it before you add it to the casserole. On top of everything, you envelop everything in a cheese sauce that is absolutely delicious! I personally always use full fat cheese because it is also full of flavor. So, I cut back on the milk to fat free skim.

This takes a little bit of time (2 hours total) but is great for a weekend dinner. I love casseroles because once you put it in the oven, you can clean the kitchen, set the table, and just relax, waiting on dinner. This is all I served because it had veggies, protein, and a wee bit of starch.

Here is the link to the recipe on Cooking.com: http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-and-More/recipes/Broccoli-Beef-Potato-Hotdish-recipe-12552.aspx

Enjoy!

No comments: