st paddy's day

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Apple A Day

An apple a day does in fact keep the doctor away. I am very lucky to be thriving through this cold/flu season. I have continued to take my vitamins (a multivitamin, Cooper Complete Elite Athlete and Omega 3 Supplement) in addition to eating 2-3 fruits per day. Of these fruits, at least one is an apple. This helps maintain a healthy GI system and healthy teeth. I have found that I really like Honeycrip Apples that are in season from November - January. You might see them at Whole Foods or Central Market a little later than this but it is rare and they are usally quite expensive at that time. Another favorite is the Pink Lady apple. It is very similar in flavor profile, crisp and sweet, to the Honeycrisp, but it has a longer season. Recently, the prices on Pink Ladies has risen and I have found that Gala apples are particularly sweet this year. I have found them at Kroger mostly and occasionally at Walmart. So, how do you determine if an apple is ripe? I smell them. If they smell "Apple-y", then I know that they are ripe. So, munch on an apple today! You will be glad you did!

No comments: