st paddy's day

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fencing it In

After the recent frost and animal activity took hold of all 5 of my tomato plants, we decided to fence in 2 of my 3 gardens, each of which has tomato plants in it. We purchased 4 foot metal posts from Lowe's and staked at the corners and in the middle of the 8 foot sides.


We then added 2 foot tall chicken wire around the entire bed.


I planted a second basil plant because there is never enough bail for the winter pesto. Now I just need to research how best to freeze pesto.



You can also see, in the top left of the photo, that a potato plant is growing. We originally filled this bed with sphagnum peat moss as well as part of the soil from last year's garden...I guess we missed a potato!

So, the whole purpose of all this fencing was to provide a safe growing environment for our tomatoes. This time I planted Goliath Bush, 2 Bush Early Girls and 2 Celebrity plants. I used the medium sized plants vs. the smaller plants. I also noticed in far north garden that the two tomato plants that were topped by some animal are starting to sprout new foliage.



No comments: