st paddy's day

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

Today we got out in the garden to check out the gardens before the Easter storms. The strawberries are looking amazing! The first red strawberry was in the dirt and was starting to rot. So, we mulched them to hopefully alleviate the rotting. We have so many good buds, I don't want to lose them.


We also checked on our Watermelon which we planted on 3/31 and the first seedling is popping through:


We lost all of our basil seedlings with the cold snap earlier in the week, so I also planted a basil transplant from the nursery. I also plan to put down more basil seeds, but I want to wait until after tomorrow's storms so that they do not wash away.

Now, the only problem we still have to contend with is that something ate the leaves off of 2 of our tomato plants before the frost and the frost (even with frost cloth over the plants) took the tops off the rest. I took the advice of Leslie from North Haven Gardens and have fed them with liquid seaweed and will wait for one more week before going out to buy more plants.


We are also continuing to add dirt to the potatoes so that we can have an even greater crop. I was worried after the frost because I had a lot of black leaves that seemed "burnt". But, they seem to be continuing to thrive.

We will assess the damage of the Easter storm tomorrow afternoon. I hope that we have no hail.

Happy Easter everyone!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I'm so impressed with your green thumb! Love your blog, too... I'm going to add it to my favorites.